in performance dashboards and reports supporting sustainable development of communities accordingly to the ISO standard for city services and quality of life
International standard ISO 37120:2014 “Sustainable development of communities — Indicators for city services and quality of life” released in 2014, became the first successful effort of experts to create integrated view for performance analysis in urban areas. The standard provided uniform definitions of what is measured and how it should be done and introduced common basis for reporting, comparison and benchmarking. The standard was used for implementation of the Smart Metropolitan Area model which can be used as template in any new Smart City project for quick start up, linking to open data sources and IoT, and its further advancement into large scale comprehensive local model of the city. The local model can accommodate any other relevant standards as well.
The ISO 37120 defines 17 city themes of City Services and Quality of Life as follows:
- Fire and Emergency Response
- Solid Waste
- Telecommunications and Innovation
- Urban Planning
- Water and Sanitation
Each theme has “Core” and “Supporting” Indicators as well as Data Sources.
In all 17 themes there are
- 46 core indicators which cities shall track and report,
- 54 supporting indicators which cities should support in tracking and reporting
ISO requires third party verification of data sources and quality for ISO standard certification.
Importance of Standard
The ISO 37120 standard is important as it
- Steers and guides sustainability, effective governance and delivery of services
- Allows accessing city’s performance of services, infrastructure, institutions (especially outsourced),
- Improves city operations
- Increases transparency and accountability
- Leverages project funding, prioritizing city budgets for assessing quality of life,
- Transparency and open data for public/private infrastructure developments and investment attractiveness
- Facilitates learning and use
- Makes possible various benchmarking options, targets definition and comparative analysis in policy development and planning
- Assists in building core knowledge for city decision-making and enabling comparative insight and global benchmarking
- Supports new Open Data and new application development
Using the standard as reference model for further developments
The urban model by ISO 37120 is installed as initial city server application and runs immediately after its installation. It can be used for experimenting with local open data sets, senosrs and IoT. Further it allows for development of comprehensive local urban area model in any necessary detail including specific urban or metropolitan structures, districts, objects, its mapping and aggregation. The development can be implemented by local specialists and service providers with interactive information instruments without programming and include any other necessary definitions of standards, indicators, data sources, linking to IoT and other smart systems. The prototyping and training services are supported by the Smart City Monitor team.
Quick implementing Smart City Monitor